Thursday 21 May 2009

Christmas in May?

Of course not!! I made this cake for Christmas 2008...



It started life as a rich fruit cake, which was marinated quite liberally for 3 weeks with brandy. The result was a scrumptious cake!

First off a layer of marzipan and then a layer of sugarpaste (fondant) which after being smoothed was embossed with some star shaped embossers on the sides of the cake, and with star shaped crimpers around the edge of the board.

I thought it looked a little plain all white, so I grabbed some blue lustre dust from my stash and started to brush it on. I also threw on some food glitter for that sparkly effect!

My 3D models were made from sugarpaste...

Frosty the French Snowman...



He's wearing a beret people! I ♥ him, he's so cute!

Then the big man himself - Santa Claus...



Again, made with sugarpaste, left to dry and then his white beard was piped on with royal icing.

Santa sans beard... and all shiny from a spray of vodka to get rid of all the excess cornflour!



I also made a whole batch of marzipan Christmas puds...



The pud itself was marzipan, coloured brown with cocoa powder and fashioned into a ball. I thinly rolled out some sugarpaste and cut freehand a blob of "cream" and attached it with a little water. I then used holly plunger cutters to cut out some ivy green coloured sugarpaste and rolled up tiny balls of red for the berries.

I plopped one onto the cake for even more Christmas goodness!