Thursday 21 May 2009

Mother's Day

I made this cake for a friend's mum for Mother's Day. He didn't give me much info on what he wanted - just said "pink with flowers"...



This is an 8" madeira cake filled with raspberry jam and vanilla buttercream. I covered the cake with sugarpaste (fondant) which I coloured using pink food colour paste.

I used a smoother to erm, smooth down the top and sides of the cake and then piped a line of shells around the base of the cake.

I then applied (with royal icing) the gerbera daisies that I had cut out with a gerbera cutter in pink and white sugarpaste. I used a ball toll to soften each petal and curl them up slightly, and added a disc of yellow sugarpaste in the centre. I used a metal seive to give a bit of texture to them.

I also cut lots of little blossoms with a blossom plunger which I attached again with royal icing around the edge of the cake board and along the side of the cake. I then piped yellow icing into the centre of each blossom.

Finally I piped "Happy Mother's Day" and was good to go!

When said friend came to pick up the cake he was very pleased with it - and so, I hear, was his mum who said it was delicious!